Monday, November 23, 2015

trains travels trainings



still no snow, but we have not lost hope yet.

We got to go to Brno this week for their training, and it was a whole bunch of fun. I am so used to travelling by train that I do not really know what I am going to ever do without them! They are the most awesome resource which we have! I was grateful to be able to stay in Brno on exchange with two of the sisters in a trio there (Sister Bailey went back to Trenčin with Sister Parsons for a day). i absolutely love Brno! I am very surprised that I can understand Czech still. I am so happy I got to learn 1,5 languages. Haha. I had some very spiritual experiences on my exchange!

PS I am either really emotional or the spirit is really strong this week. But I have been crying all week. Just a forewarning.

First of all, I spoke to the most darling girl on the tram. We were goign to the main square to talk with people about the Book of Mormon, so I had one in my hand. She was czech, and also spoke english and spanish. She was incredibly open about the fact that one of her parents was a believer and the other was not, so she felt very torn. I told her it was okay, but she was adament that it was not okay, and that it was very important for her to find faith and to find truth. I was so happy to testify that it was possible! I am so grateful that we do not all just need to hang in the air in a mist of uncertainty, but that each of us can be sure that God is there and that he has truth, and not only that, but a church where we can learn and grow. She gladly accepted a Book of Mormon and agreed to meet again.

Then, (As well in Brno here), we split up in the square and contacted individually because we did not
our cute investigator
have much time. I was so blessed to meet an incredible woman who had overcome a lot in her life but was happy and successful. She lived by the concept that a karma-like force governed life, but was plagued by the fact that it was not always certain. I felt so strongly again, so grateful that God is an unchanging God-the same yesterday, today, and forever-and that we can rely on him in order to determine what is right, and in order to understand Justice.

Lastly, in Brno, we had one of the greatest experiences I think I have had on my mission. The sisters helped an inactive father come to church a couple transfers ago, and he is now fully active. The rest of his family are not members. He has a thirteen year old son, but refuses to speak with him about the gospel because he wants him to find it for himself. The sisters suggested that we teach his son--the dad will not even come and sit in on the lessons. So, we went and taught this thirteen year old boy. We were in a trio and he set up for us little chairs around his desk, made us huge cups of fruit tea (With SO much sugar haha), and cut up apples and gave us each bowls with dried granola and rice cakes. We drew the Gospel of Jesus Christ out for him--steps to overcome sin. Faith, Repentance, Baptism, the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the End. He understood it so well. After we were sure he understood what it meant, we asked him if he would like to be baptized. He responded affirmitavely. Not wanting to intrude or push him, we stated that everyone can pray about a date in December for him to be baptized. He immediately said, I already know! The 24th of December! We all agreed and told him he would have to ask his father.

Then, his dad came in from work and came in to visit for a moment. This big, manly man sat down on the bed next to his son. His son turned to him and said, "Dad, I have something to tell you." "Yes?" "I am going to get baptized. Will you baptize me?" This wonderful man gave his son a huge hug, and began to cry. The spirit in the room was incredible! I have never felt such a love for the gospel then I did then, when I realized how great it is to be on the path with your family.
(He was surprised about the date..."Sisters! Did you pick this?" "No..he did..."
"Who is going to tell mom?"

Haha it was the best thing ever.

This week as well, we got to do service for our wonderful members, and they also fed us a whole lot of food. I love how everything is just chicken and rice and potatoes and cucumbers and halušky. Living the live.

Anyway,

ALSO we had a great experience this week when we were teaching our mom friend. She is so funny, she always takes us out for tea, and says, Look, girls, I just want to speak english, not talk about God, I dont believe in God. The best thing ever is that we always end up talking about God. So that was great but the point is, that we were walking with her after our lesson, and we brought up thanksgiving. But the problem is that literally nowhere in Slovakia in any normal store do they just sell an entire turkey. They sell like parts of it, but never the whole thing. So we tell her this, and she nearly stops in the middle of the street and says, "Girls. My father literally just asked me this morning if I had enough room in my freezer for an entire turkey." So, we went back with her to her dads house, and it was so great! We were with a three generation family and taught them the restoration!
So that was great an all, but lets get back to this turkey deal.

SO her father says, yeah, I have a friend who is a bird farmer. I will call him up. He calls this guy and
asks about the turkey and the man is actually pleased because he was literally killing all his turkeys in an hour. So he asked him to kill one for us (This is seeming very morbid to me) and told us he would bring it to us on wednesday for free for American Thanksgiving.

The only thing is that they said it will probably be 18 kilos, which is around 39 lbs, which is the size of a four year old child.

But dont worry, we are going to figure it out!! We are excited!!

Last, but not least, we accidentally bought toilet paper this week that smells like christmas. Strange things.

actually lastly, here is a thanksgiving psalm 100

1 Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.

 2 Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing.

 3 Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

 4 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.

love you all!

S laskou,
sestra abbott

No comments:

Post a Comment