Monday, November 24, 2014

Vzdy vpred, stale len vpred, hosana jeho mene (Always forward, continue forward in behalf of Hosanna) Nov 17 2014

Well, well, one month here and it literally feels like only one very busy day. Time flies when you are doing the work of the Lord! (haha how cheesy was that?) Another entire week in my area, and I'm happier than ever. Last night I was so exhausted, I was upset because I couldn't physically express how happy I was. All I could do was turn on some christmas music and lie on my back in bliss.

(PS I love Christmas. They are starting to put up decorations here!!!! But still no snow. It is so warm and I still have to wear a coat because if not all of the old grandmas get so mad at me. If I don't wear tights, all of the little babickas tell me that I'm not going to have kids.)

But really! The work is hastening! I am still amazed every day at what a miracle our little Slovakia is. The people are so ready and so prepared. Our prayers are answered every day! People say that these missions are hard because of the low numbers--and that is just completely untrue. If we could keep a count of how many conversations, numbers received, people we saw for the third time randomly on the street--we would be considered the most successful mission in the world! I can't believe how obviously the Lord is blessing His people here. I don't even have time to write about everything I see every day that testifies of this--Also, how amazing is it that we have the Kniha Mormonova in Slovak? Sister Seninger was just saying yesterday that it really statistically should not be being produced--there are only a little over 100 active members--but still we have it, and we are bringing back boxes and boxes of books after every training. AH!

The week before last, we found a wonderful little family who was so prepared. I think I wrote about them but I'm not sure. Anyway so they said they would come to church, but we didn't get their contact information. So that saturday, we fasted that they would come to church, or that we would be able to tract and find them.

They didn't come to church.

So, we were disappointed, but undeterred. We resolved to tract every apartment near their tram stop that we could. We claimed the entire area. And on wednesday, we prayed our little hearts out and set out in faith to find this family.

Now. We were supposed to get on the tram earlier, but we ran into one of our recent converts on the namestie, and were a little sidetracked contacting a few people. But we kept our prayers in our hearts, and got to the tram stop. We got an older man's info (Another miracle in and of itself), and got on the tram. As we were standing in the tram, and Sister Seninger was putting his number into her phone, I watched as people got on from the next stop (plotting who our next victim would be, wink wink) and my heart stopped. THE MOM OF THE FAMILY STEPPED ONTO THE TRAM. I about died. We fell over ourselves, basically running over to the other side of the tram, and talked to her for about a half hour and got her number. The Lord knows His children and does answer our prayers! He is preparing His elect and will provide a way for us to accomplish His work! Who knows how he does it, but it happens.

On a slightly (but not by very much) less exciting note, I consumed a bug this week. Yes, I was walking and talking with Ernest, and it flew into my mouth and it went down my throat and I just about died. I guess it is a sign that I need to stop talking so much (No matter what language it is in), so I don't let all those flies in.

Ew. Seriously grossest thing of my whole life.

On a more delicious note, I BOUGHT A GIANT KINDER EGG. IT WAS AMAZING. IT WAS THE PINNACLE OF MY CHRISTMAS-CANDY-ASSOCIATED LIFE. Wait I have a picture.


 









It was amazing. 


Plus I made brownies this week, which half turned out okay and the other half were really hard because our oven actually doesn't have a way to tell how hot it is? Like you light the flame on the inside,but you don't actually know the temperature so I basically burn everything. Hahaha so sister seninger was trying to pry one out of the pan with a knife, and it flies out of the pan and lands five feet across the room in the garbage can! It was really a proud moment.

We got two new investigators this week!! (Kind of three, but one had been taught five months ago, and not more than six, so..) It was amazing! Helena is wonderful--positive about everything and everyone around her. She is a grandma, and is so funny. She brings us chocolate. And Stefan, (don't have slovak keyboard right now, sorry), who is from our english class and is basically a modern day Joseph Smith! He told us about how he went to basically every religion, even the Hari Krisners, searching, and still hasn't found what he is looking for. We are so excited to teach him! And wonderful Frantisek, who gave us little ceramic dolphins and rubber band bracelets when we taught him. He is so cool and always brings other people to his lessons.

We taught the visiting teaching message on Dieter F. Uchtdorf's last conference talk about light and testimony. (Sorry, I don't know the title exactly in english). It is such a wonderful talk! It makes me think about how we can receive more and more light, the more we study. And if God had all light--all knowledge and enlightenment, how wonderful is it that we are able to have a small piece of that light! In 1 Corinthians 13, Paul talks about charity, and about how we are only able to see a part of that plan--how this earth is covered with a veil and until that glorious day, we will not be able to see completely clearly.  I love the last few verses:

 9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

 11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

 12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

How great that now, we have a part of that light and knowledge, but that this knowledge can grow greater and greater until that day when we can be reunited with our Father in Heaven. He is constantly watching over us and helping us grow, and if we will draw near unto Christ today, we will surely be the sheep to heed His call when he comes.

Dovidenia! Love and pray for you all! And for those of you on missions! Vzdy vpred, stale len vpred! Onward!

PS  today is the Velvet Revolution day over here. It is really cool to hear some of the stories people have about when it was happening.



Also, PPS, I was reading over my conference notes and was really thinking maybe you all
could watch it as a family or something? maybe you already have? Don't know.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/10/make-the-exercise-of-faith-your-first-priority?lang=eng


Love you!


Sestra Abbott

No comments:

Post a Comment