Monday, January 25, 2016

piešok či skale

ALRIGHTY FOLKS,

I know you have all been wondering about what we have been doing up here in little Trenčín, and the answer is certainly missionary work. And oh, it is certainly wonderful! The weather sure makes things exciting--the first half of the week was so pleasant, with birds singing and spring in the air--and then today I think that the clouds fell onto us in buckets of soft white snow! I could not believe how big those snowflakes were!

I think that the Lord really used us this week. We always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. I so enjoy listening to people and understanding them---not just the slovak, but what they are feeling. Praying for charity really works!

On wednesday the day was eventful because we rushed to Bratislava on a train for training! I sure do love trainings. I was pretty emotional because I just am realizing every day how much I love my mission and how much I love the people I serve with and the people I serve. Whenever anything was taught or said, I felt like raising my hand and saying "YES! this is so true! I know it is!" I feel the testifying power of the spirit when others testify, and then it is just one big pot of spirit and testimony and tears.

Afterwards, we rushed back home on the train and got to go to our wonderful neighbors to celebrate
her son´s seventh birthday. It was so much fun! We got to play a little game with him and I felt really weird helping a slovak boy read slovak...and I am an American. It was good. We ate a super incredibly delicious french marble cake and for that I was obviously very grateful.

We had a great time this week because our branch prezident taught us some Yoga! He is a yoga master. In fact, he found the church through yoga! In communism, he went to a yoga class in Brno, in the CZ, where the teacher was LDS: He would share with them "Spiritual Vitamins" Every week in yoga. As communism fell, they were able to share more and more about the church. Eventually prezident got a copy of the book of mormon and was baptized. He brought the yoga tradition to trenčín, and nearly all of our strong members here were converted in this small spiritual yoga class! I absolutely look up to these members. They have incredible conversion stories and I am so grateful for their faith. And I was pretty grateful to do some yoga.

strange snow crystals
We also got to go visit one of our members outside of Trenčín this week. We talked about discipleship and I was just so amazed at her example of discipleship. She sure has seen a lot of good times and a lot of bad times, and is still willing to listen and to make goals to do member missionary work. If every member did as much missionary work as our five members do in Trenčín I think the world would be converted! I admire them. Also she made us some delicious shish kabobs so that was totally great.

Lastly, on sunday I got to give a talk, which is always a great opportunity, but I think I learned a lot more than people got from my crazy slovak that was happening. I spoke about the simplicity of the gospel, and A verse I really loved is in 3 Nephi 11 verses 39-41

 39 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and whoso buildeth upon this buildeth upon my rock, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against them.

 40 And whoso shall declare more or less than this, and establish it for my doctrine, the same cometh of evil, and is not built upon my rock; but he buildeth upon a sandy foundation, and the gates of hell stand open to receive such when the floods come and the winds beat upon them.

 41 Therefore, go forth unto this people, and declare the words which I have spoken, unto the ends of the earth.

I love that we are to be built upon the rock. The doctrine of Christ is simple, like a big mass. Maybe
up close you can see ridges, crevices, and different colors, but when you stand on it, it is firm and simple. Sand, though it may seem appealing and intricate, is made up of so many tiny grains that you cannot find a beginning or end to it, and when you stand on it, you sink. Sometimes we think our testimonies are built on the deep mysteries and secrets of the gospel, but those things wont hold strong when we are faced with opposition or a trial. The simple, concrete things of the gospel are those things that will keep us firmly planted on the foundation of Christ when hard things come. I am so grateful for the strength I find in these simple things every day!

s laskou,

Sestra Abbott

No comments:

Post a Comment